In adults, attention deficit disorder often looks quite different than it does in children—and its symptoms are unique for each individual.
- “Zoning out” without realizing it, even in the middle of a conversation.
- Extreme distractibility; wandering attention makes it hard to stay on track.
- Difficulty paying attention or focusing, such as when reading or listening to others.
- Struggling to complete tasks, even ones that seem simple.
- Tendency to overlook details, leading to errors or incomplete work.
- Poor listening skills; hard time remembering conversations and following directions.
Disorganization and Forgetfulness:
- Poor organizational skills (home, office, desk, or car is extremely messy and cluttered)
- Tendency to procrastinate
- Trouble starting and finishing projects
- Chronic lateness
- Frequently forgetting appointments, commitments, and deadlines
- Constantly losing or misplacing things (keys, wallet, phone, documents, bills)
- Underestimating the time it will take you to complete tasks
Struggles in controlling impulses:
- Frequently interrupt others or talk over them
- Have poor self-control
- Blurt out thoughts that are rude or inappropriate without thinking
- Have addictive tendencies
- Act recklessly or spontaneously without regard for consequences
- Have trouble behaving in socially appropriate ways (such as sitting still during a long meeting)
- Sense of underachievement
- Doesn’t deal well with frustration
- Easily flustered and stressed out
- Irritability or mood swings
- Trouble staying motivated
- Hypersensitivity to criticism
- Short, often explosive, temper
- How self-esteem and sense of insecurity
Hyperactivity or restlessness:
- Feelings of inner restlessness, agitation
- Tendency to take risks
- Getting bored easily
- Racing thoughts
- Trouble sitting still; constant fidgeting
- Craving for excitement
- Talking excessively
- Doing a million things at once
Counseling can help you:
- Control impulsive behaviors
- Manage your time and money
- Get and stay organized
- Boost productivity at home and work
- Manage stress and anger
- Communicate more clearly