Let’s face it; we all have at least one woman in our lives. Whether it is a mother, wife, daughter, friend or mentor, a woman has made a difference in our lives. Too often, these women go unrecognized for all that they do for those around them. This Friday, March 8th is International Women’s Day. Why not use that day to show your appreciation to all of the women in your life? So what is International Women’s Day? Here’s some background on the holiday.
International Women’s Day has been observed since the early 1900’s. It was started to give a voice to the inequalities that were occurring towards women at the time. Since then, it has grown to be an observed holiday in over 70 countries. This year there will be over 1100 events held throughout these countries. Want to find out more about events in the US? Click here. For more information on events in Orlando, click here.
If you can’t participate in these events, here are a few ideas to show your love and appreciation to the women in your life.
- Show Respect – For those important women in your life that are no longer with us, do something in their honor. It can be as simple as visiting their gravesite, or sharing stories about their lives with others. If they were active in a particular organization, or were an avid volunteer, share your time or treasure in honor of their service.
- View Their Achievements – Tour a local art museum featuring works by women. While touring, consider the additional difficulties these women faced as artists in a field made up predominately of men.
- Share the Love – Tell your special ladies, how much they mean to you. Whether it is a phone call or a handwritten letter, take the time to make the communication special. This isn’t the time for a one line text or a quick email. It will be more meaningful if you set aside the time to make it special.
- Celebrate – Have a party and invite all of the important women in your life. We rarely have the time to tell others how much they mean to us. Take this opportunity to let these fabulous women know how much they mean to you.
For centuries, women have been an important part to our lives. In fact, it is women that bring life into the world. Make sure the women in your life know how much they mean to you not just on International Women’s Day, but throughout the year.
Latest posts by Marta Rocha (see all)
- - February 1, 2015
- The Science of Love -1 - February 1, 2015
- It is difficult to talk to my partner. How do I get my partner to open up? - February 1, 2015