As a woman, especially an American woman, we are bombarded every day with what society perceives as the “ideal” body image. Let’s face it ladies, these “ideal” bodies in some cases don’t even exist. They are cropped, airbrushed and digitally constructed to create an unattainable image. Yet, we all still strive for this perfection that is unachievable. So as a woman today, what can we do to love the body that we are in and ignore the stereotypes from society? These tips should put you on the right path:
1. Focus on what your body is capable of – Instead of focusing on what you look like, focus on all the things that your body can do. You are an amazing miracle. You can swim, walk, run and ride a bike. So instead of giving yourself a disgusted look when you walk past a mirror, celebrate your body for all that it does, or can do for you. Learn a new sport, or take up a hobby to showcase that beautiful body.
2. Use Positive Affirmations – You are what you think you are. So, in order to change what you think, you need to start telling yourself something positive. Find something about yourself that you like and turn it into a positive affirmation. For instance, if you are a good listener tell yourself that in the mirror every morning. By saying the words out loud and daily, you will start to believe in them.
3. Walk Away From the Scale – So many of us that battle body image weigh ourselves daily. STOP!!! Due to what eat, our hormones and normal living, body weight can vary up to 5 lbs. from one day to the next. If you need to keep track of your weight, do so weekly and at the same day and time each week. This will be a more realistic record of your true weight.
4. Don’t Live in a “House of Mirrors” – How many mirrors do we really need? Two or three at the most? Move out the remaining ones or better yet, donate them to charity and help someone else while you are helping yourself.
5. Remove the Labels from Your Clothes – If you are like most women, you have at least four different sizes of clothes in your closet. Go through your closet and remove the size labels from your wardrobe. Don’t get hung up on wearing a particular size, instead wear what you are comfortable wearing.
6. Surround Yourself with Positive Energy – Let’s face it, if you are around negative people with negative energy that is going to rub off on you. Get rid of it and them! Have a positive support network that gives you support and reassurance.
Let’s face it ladies, we all have a love/hate relationship with our bodies. There are always going to be things that we wish we could change. We need to make sure that we don’t let those things take over our life or better yet our well-being.
Latest posts by Marta Rocha (see all)
- - February 1, 2015
- The Science of Love -1 - February 1, 2015
- It is difficult to talk to my partner. How do I get my partner to open up? - February 1, 2015